NORWEGIAN BAY BARGE
Back to search
Whale Oil Barge
Norwegian Bay Co.
length approx 12m beam 3m
Shallow water 100m offshore, north of jetty, good snorkel dive from beach or boat
Off Norwegian Bay Whaling Station
After last working 1957
The Norwegian Whaling company operated steam powered whaling ships with harpoon guns and factory ships in the seasons 1912 to 1916 and the shore-based facility was established in 1915 featuring a 160ft (approx. 53m) jetty.
The Australian North-West whaling company purchased the station in1920 and operated 3 whale chasers, the Fynd, Fin (wrecked in 1923) and Frey. The Norwegian Bay Whaling Company leased the site and operations and operated four whale chasers until 1929.
The station was reopened in 1949 until it was closed in 1957 due to operations being centered around Babbage Island near Carnarvon. This photo taken 1995 Ian Warne
Aerial photo showing sunken barge 100m offshore north of old jetty
Find out everything you need to know about the Shipwrecks of Western Australia.
Direct from the archives of the Maritime Archaeology Association of Western Australia.
Please follow us and send any information or feedback on any shipwreck in WA.