MARY ANN 1849–1876

A topsail schooner, also called Mary Ann, State Library of Victoria, FL16262274
Description
Topsail schooner
Construction
Wood
Size
Length: 84.0 ft (25.6 m) Beam: 21.0 ft (6.4 m) Depth: 9.0 ft (2.74 m) Tonnage: 116 gross, 104.31 net
Built
John Eason at North West Bay, Tasmania
Owner
Many changes of ownership; final owners William Owston, William Silas Pearse and George Pearse
Sunk
13 July 1876
Location
North-eastern side of western-most of the Bellinger Islands
Latitude/Longitude
(-33.8866583333, 123.6436583333)
Sinking
In 1876 the Mary Ann was chartered to carry materials for the overland telegraph line. The cargo was unloaded at Duke of Orleans Bay and the journey continued eastwards looking for suitable sites for telegraph stations. It was on the return journey that progress was slow and Captain Christie decided to anchor in the lee of the Bellinger Islands. The wind changed and the Mary Ann was now on a lee shore. Attempts to leave were thwarted when the anchor started to drag. The crew unsuccessfully attempted to kedge the Mary Ann away from the shore and she became a total wreck.
Underwater
The wreck material from the Mary Ann lies in two different sites. Between 100 and 200 m offshore in three metres of water is an area containing small artefacts, mainly copper alloy and bottle fragments. On the shore are some timber remains, mainly frames. On the mainland beach opposite the island is a large mast which may be from the Mary Ann.
Gallery
