Construction of the Fairy began in 1844 but was delayed by owner Thomas Symers’ financial difficulties. He brought in two business partners, James Dunn and John Thomas, and there was a further delay when there was a dispute about the rigging between Symers and Dunn. A further disagreement arose about ownership and payment for work to complete the Fairy.
FAIRY 1844–c. 1850

Schooner Alpha, 97 tons, AD Edwards Collection, State Library of South Australia, PRG-1373-31-52
Description
Schooner
Construction
Jarrah
Size
Tonnage: 70
Built
Messrs Solomon Cook, Metcalf and Covert on the banks of the Kalgan River
Owner
Thomas Symers, John Thomas and James Dunn
Sunk
c. 1850
Location
Western end of Princess Royal Harbour, Albany
Latitude/Longitude
(-35.0385, 117.8606666667)
Sinking
It seems that the dispute between the Fairy’s owners was unresolved, which lead to the abandonment and loss of the vessel. The exact details are unknown. There are three versions of events: the mooring rope was cut and it drifted onto a sandbank; it was left as a derelict and was eventually washed ashore; and it just rotted away at its mooring.
Underwater
Some timbers from the Fairy are visible in the shallow waters. The remains of the Fairy lie on a north-west/south-east axis, possibly with the stern to the south-east. A keel (16.75 m long and canted about 45° to the north-east) and six floors are visible, together with a timber which is most probably a stern post. Scattered timbers, including a knee, fashion piece and pulley sheave, lie close by, as does a ballast mound 11.2 m long and 2.7 m wide. The site is covered in sea grass and shifting sand patches.
Gallery
