COPELAND ex Copeland Island, ex Jane Sprott 1868–1928

The Copeland as the Jane Sprott, unidentified port, State Library of South Australia, PRG-1373-8-86

The Jane Sprott/Copeland Island had British and Norwegian owners. The Copeland Island had been lying in Port Adelaide for some years when bought by the Adelaide Steamship Company in November 1902. In early 1905 the Winfield towed the barque to Albany where it was used as a coal hulk. Its winches were powered by a 15.9 hp steam engine fed by a vertical cross tube boiler. The hulk had three derricks.

Description

Barque; one deck, one bulkhead, two tiers of beams, cemented

Construction

Iron

Size

Length: 176.4 ft (53.77 m) Beam: 30.0 ft (8.14 m) Depth: 19.1 ft (5.82 m) Tonnage: 688 gross, 670 net, 658 under deck

Built

R. Williamson & Son, Harrington, UK

Owner

Last owner: the Adelaide Steamship Company

Sunk

18 May 1928

Location

Quarter mile off False Island, Gull Rock Bay, Albany

Latitude/Longitude

(-35.0109966667, 118.1694983333)

Sinking

At the end of its useful life, the Copeland was stripped of all fittings and towed to a position off False Island by the Awhina. Explosive charges were fired and the Copeland sank in a few minutes.

Underwater

The Copeland lies in 27.5 m of water.

Gallery

Location