LALLA 1874-1917

A typical 3 masted Barque (photo unknown)


3 Masted Barque


George Fredrick Gallop of Fremantle WA. At Messer Learmonth and Co.’s rooms in Henry Street, Fremantle yesterday the Barque Lalla was submitted to Auction and sold for £370 to Mr. G. P. Gallop.






1070 tons length 183.7ft beam 37.1ft depth 20.9


Iron knees, possibly from a portion of ‘lower hull’ which floated to shore after being destroyed by gunfire and explosives by HMAS Brisbane on 18/08/1917


1874 by J O’Brien, Maccan, Nova Scotia


Marmion Beach in shallow water,south of Marmion Angling Club


From Captain Claude Cumberland H.M.A.S. BRISBANE 18th August 1917 a condemned hulk ‘Lalla” was used as a target off Rottnest Island on 18th of August 1917. The wreck LALLA was towed into a position 7 miles N. 65 E of Rottnest High Light at 7am by the ALACRITY, where the tow was cast off and she was allowed to drift, the BRISBANE being at anchor in Gage Roads. At 8 am I weighed anchor and proceeded. The target was approached on a N.N. Wly. Course, the bearing from the ship being about 4 points on the port bow and distant about 14,000 yards. Fire was opened at 9.45 am from the 3 foremost Port guns at 9500. – The first salvo fell about 400 yards over – after two salvos course was altered to starboard and I steamed past the target at about 7000 yards, firing first practice shot and later common shell from the port guns. No direct hits with shell were observed to fall a very small amount short, all being correct for line. – At 10.5 am I altered course to port and steamed past the target at close range leaving it on the Starboard hand. Fire was opened from the starboard battery using Lyddite shell at 10.15, the range being then 500 yards. Four direct hits and two ricochet hits were observed on this run. After completing the run 3 rounds of Lyddite were fired into the hull at point blank range. Firing was completed at 10.40 am. The object of the firing was primarily to observe and test the detonation of shell – Reduced charges were used. All guns were fired by percussion and controlled through the transmitting Station from the Fore Control. There were no misfires. The conditions were easy, but nerveless range finding and rate keeping were good, especially as the only one Rangefinder (the after one) was available, and the slow rate of fire necessitated an accurate rate. The hulk was afterwards boarded by Lieutenant Ryan, to ascertain the effect of the fire, which was as follows: The detonation of the Lyddite appears to be have been satisfactory observing that the hulk was entirely built of timber and too soft to obtain the best results. Most of the shell went through and burst inside where the effect was minimised by the space being un-confined. The hulk was shattered throughout though she held together and no portion of her appeared to be un-touched. From the pattern the shell appears to have detonated and broken up into very small fragments, although yellow smoke was observed on several occasions. It was not possible to distinguish the effects of the common from the lyddite by inspection afterwards. The hulk filled up and became water logged, which prevented examination of all except the upper deck and upper part of the bulwarks. She was afterwards blown up with gun cotton. The following was fired: 15 rounds common capped. 6 = Lyddite picric exploder 9 = Lyddite tretyl exploder 16 = practice In all cases the shell used was that which had suffered most from exposure on deck.