OMEO 1858 -1905
Back to search
Iron Barque-Rigged Steamer
Howard Smith and Sons, Melbourne Engine removed and converted to a 4 masted Jackass-Barque. Intercolonial and International trader
Clinker built iron
789 tons gross length 64.9m beam 9.3m depth 5.1m
site consists of above water sections and Underwater, some sections remain intact and offer interesting snorkel viewing. Note: the wreck is in shallow water
1858 by A Leslie and Co., Newcastle-on-Tyne
South Fremantle, Coogee Beach, south of Marina
rted cables driven ashore in storm
Sailing out to Australia on her maiden voyage, departed Plymouth on March 24, 1859 carrying, in addition to general cargo, materials and equipment for laying the Bass Strait submarine cable to link Tasmania with the mainland. Photo: Omeo at Port Melbourne c1888-1906 (State Library of Victoria)
On one of her trips from Newcastle to Melbourne with a cargo of coal on 13thSeptember 1881 when entering the the west channel she collided with the Swan Spit Lighthouse. So great was the tide that she drifted right across the channel and completely wrecked the wooden lighthouse. Engraving: Omeo colliding with Swan Spit Lighthouse 1881 (State Library of Victoria)
After completing the laying of the Tasmanian telegraph cable she joined the trading route to New Zealand the original purpose of her construction. Owing to her suitability for the trade she continued periodical trips to the north, and was able to navigate the Roper River 100 miles from its mouth in February 1872. Photo: Omeo at Roper River 1872 (Allan C Green)
Find out everything you need to know about the Shipwrecks of Western Australia.
Direct from the archives of the Maritime Archaeology Association of Western Australia.
Please follow us and send any information or feedback on any shipwreck in WA.