length 15m beam 3.4m depth 1.2m with original Union petrol engine. Replaced with Lister diesel engine
1908 by George Mc Carther and Peter Anderson at Royal Ophir Boat Sheds
Bull’s Creek, Canning River
In 1979 the Mayflower drifted onto the shallow bank of the Swan River at Belmont, just upstream from Belmont Creek. She stayed there for several months until the new owner re-floated her, put in a motor, possibly a Holden, an attempted to take her down river. When it became evident she would not complete the journey without substantial repairs, she was moored in Wreck Bay, Applecross, where she sank at her moorings and began to break up during a storm. The remains were taken to Fremantle for inspection and it was decided to return her to the river in the same condition. She was then taken to Bull’s Creek, where her hull still remains.
Find out everything you need to know about the Shipwrecks of Western Australia. Direct from the archives of the Maritime Archaeology Association of Western Australia.
Please follow us and send any information or feedback on any shipwreck in WA.