JAMES MATTHEWS 1837-1841

Description:

Snow Brig with 2 masts

Owner:

Frederick Leith

Construction:

Timber

Sunk:

1841/07/22

Size:

107 ton length 80.2ft beam 21ft depth 11.5ft It had one deck, two masts, a square
stern, male bust figurehead and no galleries

Underwater:

Maritime archaeologists and volunteers under the archaeological direction of
the Department of Maritime Archaeology carried out four seasons of excavation
on the wreck site between 1974 and 1976. Preservation conditions were good on
the site and a significant amount of the hull and cargo remained. While research
into the ship’s rigging and cordage has been published, most of the research
and publication has concentrated on the hull, as an important representative of
the slave trade. Recently the wreck has been the subject of an in-situ preservation
study designed to ameliorate the effects of sand movement around the remains.
This work has been carried out with staff from the Department of Materials
 Conservation.

Built:

France registered at the Port of London.

Location:

Cockburn Sound, Woodmans Point

Sinking:

The James Matthews left London for Fremantle on 28 March 1841 with a cargo
of 7 000 slates, farming implements, general cargo, 3 passengers and a crew
of 15. The vessel struck rocks after parting its anchor warp, and sank on 23
July 1841. One of the passengers, Henry de Burgh, left a comprehensive diary
covering the voyage to Australia and his later experiences on the land. Much of
the cargo belonged to de Burgh, who had been involved in the organization of
the enterprise in England and had an interest in the vessel.

Longitude:

115.743822

Latitude:

-32.13193

Gallery

Location

Videos