Miller’s Pool on Mill Point no longer exists, as during the period 24–28 February 1941 the pool was filled with mud deposited by the dredge Captain Stirling. The reclamation work was undertaken due to subsidence of previous fill, and was a joint effort of the Public Works Department and the South Perth Roads Board. The site was later covered by earthworks as part of the construction of the Narrows Bridge.
1841 at Fremantle by Joseph Bobin
Entrance to Miller’s Pool, Mill Point, South Perth
There are no details of exactly when or how the Canton was lost. In April 1881 Browne wrote a letter to George Shenton, MLC, Mayor of Perth, and a similarly worded letter to The Herald newspaper, stating that the barge had been wrecked 27 years earlier at the entrance to Miller’s Pool.
Find out everything you need to know about the Shipwrecks of Western Australia. Direct from the archives of the Maritime Archaeology Association of Western Australia.
Please follow us and send any information or feedback on any shipwreck in WA.